I am learning how to sew a men's pants pocket in my pattern-making class. This pocket can also be used on coats and probably for ladies wear too. I think it is called a single welt pocket!
1. Cut out the pieces. For my pocket I cut out two pieces 5cm x 15cm and four pieces 19cm x 22cm. The flowered fabric is the pocket and the tan fabric is simulating the pants.
2. Iron the small (5 x 15) piece 1cm in on the long sides and then iron in half (see picture).

3. Sandwich the small piece between the pants and the pocket piece (19 x 22) right where your pocket opening will be.

4. Sew the three pieces together (.5 seam allowance) the length of the smaller piece (ignore the top part as I had already completed the next step).

5. Cut a slit in the pants .5 from stitching1cm from each side. At the end of the slit cut in a diagonal from the end of the slit to the end of the stitching on both sides.
6. Sew the other piece right sides together as shown in the picture.

7. Flip the two pocket pieces to the inside of the pants and sew, right sides together, all the way around.
8. Sew a seam on either side of the welt, reinforce with a button hole stitch.
No comments:
Post a Comment